Often there is a misconception that cats don’t and won’t tolerate massage. It is true that cats can be a bit more challenging to massage as compared to dogs or horses, however, many cats are very tolerant of massage and the majority will learn to accept it if approached right. These 7 tips will help your cat love massage!
Here are a few tips on how to teach your kitty to enjoy massage:
- Cats, just like dogs, can suffer from soft tissue injuries or arthritis. Make sure to speak with your vet to assess them for pain. A cat who is in pain will have very little tolerance for being touched.
- Make it a positive experience, work within their comfort level and keep it below threshold (don’t wait till they tell you off). .
- Reward them for cooperation. Eventually massage will become rewarding in and of itself.
- Keep the massage focused on the trouble area.
- Keep yourself in check: breathe, relax you shoulders, arms and hands. Keep your gaze soft. Try to keep your energy soft and dispersed. Cats don’t respond well to a laser beam focus.
- Humm (or purr), make sure it’s coming from your core. The vibration will travel through your hands and help to relax your cat.
- It will likely take multiple short tries, keep trying!