This week on Training Thursday we’ll learn why you should teach your dog to sit pretty.
Sit pretty is a great trick to teach your dog. Not just because it looks cute, but mainly because it is an excellent core strengthening and balance exercise. When you start teaching this trick, you will notice at first, especially with medium and large dogs, that they are having trouble with sitting up-right and maintaining the position. That’s because their core muscles are too weak. It’s a great idea to do this exercise for a few seconds, couple times a day to build up that strength. It will contribute to your dogs overall health, giving them a strong trunk support and flexibility in their spine.
To teach sit pretty your dog must already know the sit and stay commands. Once sitting:
– stand in front of your dog and show them a treat.
– put the treat on your flat palm and move it just above their nose
– once your dogs lifts their paws, click or praise and give them the treat
– slowly increase the height of your hand until they are sitting in an upright position with their feet up in the air.
– be patient, depending on your dog’s core strength, this may take many weeks to perfect.
– one way to help your dog with this exercise, is to do it in a corner, so that their back is supported by a wall
– make sure you do it on a non-slip surface.